Saturday, May 26, 2007

privacy statement

Hewlett-Packard just e-mailed me about their newest privacy statement. (wheeee)

We recognize that trust is at the core of any relationship and that respect for your privacy is a basic component of that trust.

Don't you just wish the United States government felt this way? They should, shouldn't they? Something about "secure in your persons"...

To that end, HP has recently revised our Online Privacy Statement for the United States.

But not the rest of the world, HP plans on spying on them all it wants. They might be (gasp) terrorists after all.

The revised statement includes descriptions of how HP collects personal information to better understand your needs and interests in order to provide customized web and email services, such as the HP Newsgram and HP Home & Home Office Store Newsletter.

Right. I'm sure the only reason they are collecting personal information is so they can make me a personally relevant newsletter.

Revisions to the statement include HP's use of tools, such as cookies, web beacons and embedded web links to collect data in order to increase the relevance of our communications to you, improve our service to you, and to protect the online experience.

Protect "the online experience" from what?

Drivel? Fundies? Government data collection? Or from hackers?

Just what exactly are you protecting me from?

And if all that embedded secret crap is helping, then why do I still needs a spam filter, spy ware blocker, virus protection AND a firewall?

We believe that a good business dialog is established only when both parties want to engage. We will continue to offer easy profile or preference changes and the ability to unsubscribe from HP communications at any time.

Why doesn't this make me feel any better?

It's like the GPS (global positioning- I'm only explaining so that you know that I know what I'm talking about). Anyway, it's like the GPS feature on my cellphone. I can turn it off if I choose. BUT if I turn it off, does it actually turn OFF the feature or red flag my account for further observation?????



Protection...Control...Protection...Control...

No comments: