Thursday, July 19, 2007

and now for something completely different.

I did something today, I've never done before.

You will probably find it hard to believe of a 34 year old woman.

Never the less, the story you are about to hear is true.
Not even the names have been changed.

:-)

I cooked for myself today.

It the first real meal I've ever made, just for me.

That's not to say I've never eaten alone before. I'm sure I have. I do know that this is the first time I've made something for myself that goes beyond a frozen pizza, can of soup, toasted cheese sandwich type of fare.

It's the type of thing, that if I had my new digital camera, I could have taken pictures of.

It was an amazing feeling. I put on a cd, sang away, and fixed myself chicken fajitas.

I also don't remember ever enjoying the cooking process before. It has always been something I've had to do, a chore to get through.

I didn't have to make this meal, I wanted to. I could have faked lunch with a sandwich or some other type of easy out-of-the can stuff. But I didn't. I wanted chicken fajitas, so I made myself some.

What a wonderful experience. And they were fantastic!

10 comments:

Crazyman Bob said...

Excellent!!

Cooking can be really fun when it is by choice and not because you have too.

Are you going to share the recipe?

Fiery said...

lol I can share the recipe. But I do so with great trepidation. I know several of the readers here are great chefs, love to cook and have posted recipes and pictures of their cooking on their blog.

This isn't in that league.

However, since you asked....

*Fiery's Easy-Does-It
Chicken Fajitas*

2 chicken breasts
Fajita Seasoning

Grill for 5 minutes,
season, turn, season
grill for 5 more minutes

Slice chicken into strips
Fry in non-stick pan with splash of Classic Stir Fry Sauce
(imagine it's a wok)

When chicken is fully cooked

add 1 package of frozen stir-fry pepper strips (yellow, red, & green peppers with onions) fry on medium-high for 5-7 minutes stirring occassionally until veggies are thoroughly heated.

Heat soft tortilla shell until nicely warmed. (microwave or flat iron)

Serve with sour cream and picante sauce.

Limit yourself to 2. Don't get caught licking the plate, use a spoon.

Save the leftovers and reheat the next day.

Mmmmmmmm

Crazyman Bob said...

Sounds great!!!!

But I would have thought some Tabasco sauce would be in order with a name like "Fiery"! lol

Keep on cooking!

Fiery said...

depends on the quality of picante/salsa you use.

Some people go for that burn the hair outta your nostrils stuff.

Ginny said...

Congratulations! It sounds yummy! Wish I could have joined you. :)

You know, just because I cook cool stuff and show it on my blog now and then, doesn't mean that I cook gourmet every day! lol we had some pretty ordinary breakfast burritos for dinner last night.

Fiery said...

lol ah sweet Ginny. Even when you try to sound ordinary you are extraordinary. :-D

Unless of course those breakfast burritos came out of a box and were throw in the oven.
;-)

Poodles said...

I like the hot stuff. Just not make me cry kind of hot. Last year when we went to New Mexico a coworker told me to try this stuff at a restaurant down there called carne adovado. HOLY SHIT! I think all it was was pork in fire. Pretty sure the sauce was just fire. It was tasty though.

Gramomster said...

ROFLMA Pork in fire! Oh my goodness, I'm gonna be cracking up over that for awhile!

thank you!

Fiery, the fajitas sound awesome! We just had my world-famous spaghetti... i put tons of garlic and olive oil in jarred sauce...

BigTex71 said...

Coincidence: I made Chicken Fajitas last night! :)

It's a very tasty and easy meal.

BigTex71 said...

Oops... I just realized you posted this on Thursday. But I just read it today... so it can still be a coincidence. :)